Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Dracula visits the Mavys

Well, Ben is out of town once again, and we girls are home fending for ourselves. It's been a week now and we have at least one more to go. Last night Ben had to drive a long way on country roads late at night, so I helped him stay awake by chatting with him until midnight CA time. I was pretty sleepy when I woke up 4 hours later to the sound of... was that wings beating? Not a bird though, it didn't sound fluffy, it sounded - yes, leathery like a bat! It doesn't look very big all curled up, but with those wings extended, swooping around my bedroom, it seemed a heck of a lot bigger. I was really tired and bats don't bug me, so I tried to go back to sleep, but bats make a very distinct noise when they're hunting in your bedroom and this mosquito eater kept buzzing around my head like maybe I would keep it safe. Then I started thinking about how fun it wouldn't be to open a box of cheerios in the morning and find a winged mouse inside, so I got up and tried to chase it out the front door. I hated to hurt the thing; they eat mosquitoes which makes them my friends, but it wouldn't go out the darn door, and I was getting more tired. So, I got a broom and tried to guide the thing out. Pretty soon, I was playing bat ball. I got it a few times and it slowed way down and finally roosted or whatever from the blinds in the front room. I put on some gloves, dropped it in a brown paper bag and left it on the front lawn. Poor guy, he must not be feeling well, because he's still in there. The girls think he's pretty neat and we had a great lesson on bats and echolocation. Anyway, here are some pictures of our gruesome house guest.






6 comments:

vanessa said...

Yuck! That thing looks deadly. I know it probably isn't, but I would have wet my pants had this been flying around my head while I was trying to sleep.

Ruth said...

That's funny! I'm sorry but I just keep picturing Chris Farley and David spade for some reason (Black Sheep). I'm glad you got it outside so you could get some rest! Did it survive?

Megan said...

It must have survived, because after I finished writing I went out to check on it and there was nothing in the bag but bat poop.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you tried to go back to sleep with it still flying around...I think I would have hid in the closet, or the kids bedroom. What a fuzzy little bat. You're braver than I could have been.

~Kaley~ said...

That's freeky! It's good that it survived though. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Not fun.... but i know my kids would've been the same way, wanting to know everything.
Brave Mama!
xox, me*