Friday, September 11, 2009

Leavitt Meadows - Finally!

We used to go to Leavitt at least twice every summer, and sometimes 3 times, but the last couple summers for one reason or another, we weren't able to get up there. I wasn't complaining too much. I love being outdoors, but I really like to sleep and breathe, and both of those are difficult for me at 7,200 feet on Sonora Pass. This Labor Day weekend we made it! The kids had fun playing with us, Grandma and Grandpa, Great Grandma Mavy (who spent an entire day clearing and burning deadwood) and Uncle Lyman, but I think next time we'll make sure to bring friends their age. Eve told me on the way home that she had a lot of fun, but, "everybody cries less at home." She thinks Nathan should have his own tent next time. If only they could make them sound proof...
We went on a fun hike to a beautiful waterfall. Lyman took pictures for us. I'm going to have to get those from him. I don't like heights, so I didn't enjoy the part when we climbed up close to the water, but once we were down again, I was happy I strapped on a pair and didn't blubber in front of the kids.
Grandpa cut down a tree that was dead and bound to fall on the kitchen this winter.


The girls and I were very impressed when Daddy pulled down a tree with his bare hands! Move over, Paul Bunyan!

After the tree was down, Eve and Sadie used it as a balance beam. Grandpa taught them a game for deciding who should get off to let her sister pass.

Lyman just played with everybody the whole time. I wish I had thought to get a picture of him when the girls chased him up a tree and then Sadie tried to get him down with his walking stick. What a good uncle. He'd make a great Daddy too, Ladies ;-)

The kids had a bath in the wading pool and Nathan had so much fun being naked I didn't have the heart to put clothes back on him. Ben assured me that there'd be no lasting harm from dirt and leaves.

And a few more random cuties...

5 comments:

Renee said...

I don't know if I am ready for an overnighter in the woods yet with my four, but looks like you did a great job of it. And isn't it funny how many things we do for the kids that we would never do otherwise!! :) And such a cute observation by Eve "everyone cries less at home..." Love reading your blog Megan!!!

Megan said...

Yeah, kids make you do amazing things :) Can't wait to go when they're older and less work...

Unknown said...

oh meg! they are so cute! nathan totally looks like ben, eve and libby like you and sadie is starting to look like bern. miss you guys and love you. tell them i love them!

shannonmgb said...

Hi Megan, my mom gave me your birth announcement for Nathan, which had this blog on it so I decided to check it out...your family is adorable. I hope all is well. I love getting updates about you guys from my mom. I hope to catch up soon! - Shannon G-B

Megan said...

Thanks, Shannon! I'd love to see you when you're up here some time. I don't think I've seen you since grammar school - I'll get your contact info from your mom.