Thursday, November 5, 2009

Why My Kids Are Homeschooled

Mostly because my husband, who is smarter than most people I know (including me), is proud that he remembered who Herodotus is. It's a little piece of trivia he picked up in one of his useless college courses.
This post is inspired by a google search I just did. I want to give the kids a lesson on gasoline - where it comes from, what it does. Maybe when Daddy comes home tomorrow night we can do a few experiments. I don't do inflammables; I take a walk on the wild side when I operate the woodstove.
I went to the library this afternoon to get some books on fuels, internal combustion engines, petroleum, etc. I was dismayed to see that of the 10 books that came up when I searched the catalog, 9 of them were environmental religious tracts about evil oil tankers destroying the oceans and killing baby seals (with cartoon pictures of pathetically tarry seals), exhortations on the miracle of magical cars that run on vegetable oil, and terrifying horror picture books about our impending doom when our oil supply runs out. There was one book about where oil comes from, but it was at another library. I wasn't that suprised. The library association is notoriously liberal.
I was shocked when I ran into the exact same thing when I searched google for a

FIRST GRADE LESSON PLAN ABOUT GASOLINE
What the heck? Why does a first grader need to be indoctrinated about raping the earth? I totally understand briefly touching on the concept of renewable energy sources and teaching kids about recycling. Why can't I find anything about how fuel works? If a kid is old enough to understand that driving to gymnastics every week is killing baby seals, why isn't she old enough to understand how oil is refined to make various products that she uses EVERY DAY?
This is one of the many reasons I homeschool my kids. They have enough to learn without filling their heads with useless garbage.
And if anyone knows where I can find information about how gasoline works and how it's made, please let me know!

4 comments:

Renee said...

I've been having the same experiences when I do research for the kids... I am defintely learning a lot. Fortunatley we can filter through the other c--- and just make the kids aware that it is out there. That they need to have solid foundations on which to compare all of the things liberal society wants to pour down their throats.

THE HAYES FAMILY said...

Hmmm, gasoline isn't part of the standards for first grade! You won't find teachers teaching it at public schools...

Ben said...

Mich,

I think that's Megan's point, public school standards fall far below her expectations and the quality education she was given. The spoiled brat, if she only knew what we products of the government education system had to go through.

Megan said...

Yeah, and my education wasn't that great.