Monday, July 20, 2009

The Geists' Garden

Joanne and Elton Geist are a wonderful couple we go to church with. A couple times a year, I get a call inviting the kids and I to come share in the bounty of their incredible garden. Yesterday, Joanne invited us to come pick thornless blackberries. The kids love this because the berries are huge and the vines are scratch-free. Once the girls had gathered all the low-hanging berries, Joanne took them for a tour of the garden and let them pick beets and tomatoes. Here they are showing of their produce -

...and checking out the donkeys -


Nathan was a trooper. He had to stay in the pack the whole time. Now that he's mobile, that gets boring pretty quick. He did actually pick a few green berries and try to shove them in his mouth. I'm too quick for him ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so envious for those blackberries...How do you get thornless blackberries? That is always the worst part of picking them. In Idaho, I got sooo scratched up picking for the kids!

Megan said...

It's some hybrid vine. You can buy the vines out here, but I'm not ready for that yet. To be honest, I think the wild blackberries taste way better. We pick them next door at Grandma's house, but never after 6:30 AM - it's hot work :)