Thursday, October 15, 2009

My guilty pleasure is starting to tick me off.

Almost every night, Ben and I put the girls to bed then go hide in the back room and watch a show on Hulu. There are a few shows we really enjoy like The Office, House and Castle. Since that's only 3 nights a week, we end up filling in with shows that I like and Ben doesn't, or Ben likes and I don't. In the last couple weeks I've seen 3 shows that either laugh off or outright celebrate sex between teenagers. One was two 13-year-olds, and the other 2 were freshman girls with older boys (a highschool senior and a college boy). Granted, there was no actual sex scene, but the parents looked the other way while their girls took off with boys who were complete unknowns to the parents and even acted pretty creepy.
This really ticks me off. What ticks me off even more is seeing the ABC Family logo in the corner of my screen. Maybe I'm extra sensitive because my kids are growing up so fast and I'm going to have 3 hot teen-age girls in my home in the blink of an eye. Who are they supposed to date in a world like this?
Does no one at ABC CBS NBC or FOX take a minute before putting this crap on the air, to think about what kind of emotional trauma a 14-year-old girl experiences when she has sex with a college boy who could care less about her?
I'm really ticked off. Whatever happened to feminism? Real feminists should want to go back to the days when girls jealously guarded their reputations and girls who got into trouble went to visit their aunts in Arizona for a few months. If women are willing to put out to any creep who gives them the eye AND if women are willing to teach their daughters to do the same, what power do women have over men? We're supposed to be the guardians of civilization, and we've fallen down on the job.
As a parting thought, here are the words to that Everly Brothers classic, Wake Up Little Susie. What a long way pop culture has come!

Wake up, little Susie, wake up
Wake up, little Susie, wake up
We've both been sound asleep
Wake up, little Susie, and weep
The movie's over, it's four o'clock
And we're in trouble deep
Wake up little Susie
Wake up little Susie, well
Whatta we gonna tell your mama
Whatta we gonna tell your pa
Whatta we gonna tell our friends
When they say “ooh-la-la”
Wake up little Susie
Wake up little Susie, well
I told your mama that you'd be in by ten
Well, Susie baby, looks like we goofed again
Wake up little SusieWake up little Susie, we gotta go home
Wake up, little Susie, wake up
Wake up, little Susie, wake up
The movie wasn't so hot
It didn't have much of a plot
We fell asleep, our goose is cooked
Our reputation is shot
Wake up little Susie
Wake up little Susie, well
Whatta we gonna tell your mama
Whatta we gonna tell your pa
Whatta we gonna tell our friends
When they say “ooh-la-la”
Wake up little Susie
Wake up little Susie
Wake up little Susie

1 comment:

Renee said...

I feel your anger...Kris and I comment the same thing, but we could be watching a harmless show and it is the comercials that get to me. Everything it seems has a sexual undertone...even HALLS!!! Good grief is that the only way to sell things these days? Kris always jokes, we are going to move to Alaska when the girls reach the dating age. But for real, I AM worried about who they are going to meet!!!